Meet Dr. Sam Sweeny
Dr. Samuel J. Sweeny, DMD, FAGD was born on the United States Naval Base in Pensacola, FL where he lived for two years before making the move to Gainesville where his father started dental school at the University of Florida.
Prior to graduating high school, he enjoyed spending his summers helping out in his Dad’s dental office. The young Dr. Sweeny worked closely with dental specialists who practiced in the office, gaining first hand experience in Endodontics (root canals), Pediatrics, and Orthodontics. They helped shape his deep love for smile health and dentistry. He knew at a very early age that dentistry was the path he would pursue, taking extra classes in high school to prepare him for collegiate success.
Dr. Sweeny gained great inspiration from Frank Spear – Founder/Director of the prestigious SPEAR Education in Scottsdale, AZ. He first learned about Spear’s dental teachings in 2004, taking all four of the special hotel seminars he offered that year. Dr. Sweeny was immediately fascinated by all of the possibilities associated with a career in dentistry and maintaining the pursuit of dental excellence. Years later, he continues to take continuing education courses there and is both a Mentor and Visiting Faculty member.
Dr. Sweeny explains, “I enjoy continuing to visit Scottsdale to educate other dentists so they can achieve the highest level of dentistry they desire while staying abreast of the latest and greatest techniques and materials in today’s ever-changing world of dentistry.”
He takes great pride in being a loyal, compassionate husband, father, and dentist constantly striving for perfection both personally and professionally. Dr. Sweeny follows the “WIDIOM Rule,” as learned early on in his career from the great Dr. Peter Dawson. WIDOM stands for what “Would I Do It On Myself (or family member)” when helping patients decide what kind of dental treatment may be right for them. He’s an educator and advocate for you and your smile. You can learn about treatment possibilities and decide works best for your personal preferences and smile goals.
Dr. Sweeny is a current member of the:
- Psi Omega Dental Society (Earned the Scholastic Achievement Award for having one of the top two GPAs of graduating Psi Omega members)
- University of Florida Dental Alumni Association
- University of Florida Alumni Association
- Broomfield/Boulder Dental Association
- Colorado Dental Association
- American Dental Association
- Academy of General Dentistry (Over 1300 continuing education credits since 2003)
- Dr. Sweeny was also co-leader of a SPEAR Study Club in Florida and currently attends a local study club in Boulder. He obtained his FAGD (Fellowship status in the Academy of General Dentistry) in 2013 as a merit to his dedication and continued learning about everything dentistry has to offer. He is currently a member of four study clubs.
As an avid, competitive soccer player, Dr. Sweeny says he learned the importance of teamwork, hard work, commitment, and helping others to increase the greater good. When he’s not busy at the office, you’ll probably find him doing something outside. Dr. Sweeny enjoys participating in most sports such as hiking, skiing, golfing, mountain biking, exercising, and coaching his son’s competitive soccer team.
The Spear Visiting Faculty is a by-invitation group of doctors who represent the very best of the profession of dentistry. Recognized by their peers for their professional dedication and clinical skills, they devote time to mentor and guide other dentists to reach the same level of excellence.